Thursday 12 January 2012

Support and Encouragement from the fans

As fans we don't always get to know the players that well, however, we do our best to show it from cheering and supporting the team both home and away.
With social media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter and Blogs, this is another good opportunity to express gratitude for the Grizzlies players for there effort and talents.
One great example of this, was a letter of support to the players (and fans) for showing our appreciation, from Grizzlies Social Media Team Leader and Superfan, Mr. Tony Burrows in regards to the last 20 games of the season.

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE ENTIRE GRIZZLIES TEAM.

The trade deadline has come and gone! Our Grizzlies team as we knew it has been completely dismembered! Many close friendships had been formed in the team I am sure. There will be lots of sad goodbyes and good luck wishes tonight. And I am sad too.
Even though I was never a close friend of any of you guys, after taking hundreds of pictures of all of you and interacting with you in your community outings I too am going to miss the players that are leaving the Grizzlies.

I know that we didn't have much of a chance to make the playoffs the way things were going, (but deep down I still hope we DO make them) so I am glad that so many trades have been made that give our older players a chance to be on a team that stands a better chance of a run through the playoffs and maybe a chance at the BIG PRIZE, the Royal Bank cup.

I guess in a way I should be glad for all the guys that were traded, but personally I am going to miss watching you guys BIG TIME! I have to commend the Grizzlies Organization for doing what they did though, and when it didn't look likely we would be in the playoffs they gave so many of you a chance to go further with hockey this season. I believe this shows the interest that they take in your welfare!

I've enjoyed taking pictures and posting them for you and your friends and family to see and I have enjoyed keeping up the Official Grizzlies Home on Facebook and posting articles for you guys, your friends and family, and our Grizzlies fans (and believe it or not we still have a hardcore group of fans that love Junior hockey and are Grizzlies fans to the end!)

Wade, I wish you all the best playing for Penticton. When you are playing in the Royal Bank Cup remember I will be cheering for you and your new team! (Wade, you can imagine what I am hoping happens to you for next year! We gotta keep your Dad coming to the Bear! Just hoping!)
Mike Collins and Jamie, it has been a pleasure knowing both of you, and suitcase Mike and Tuck, all the best in Dauphin!! Maybe you guys will be playing Wade for the big Cup! Jarred, all the best to you in Prince George. I really hope they make it to the playoffs and you have a chance to play longer. Sorry things did not work out better in Victoria, it has been great chatting with you a few times and watching you play such exciting hockey! Watch out for frostbite in the Great White North—I hear it gets Real Cold up there! And lastly, Wes Myron, I know you weren't traded but I hear you may be out for the rest of the season after surgery. I'll tell you big guy, it was a pleasure meeting you. Have a speedy recovery and all the best with your scholarship for next year!!
But to all the guys that are leaving, even though it may be tough to leave your close friends that you have formed here in Victoria, deep down I know that it is all for the best. Unfortunately our Grizzlies have not had a good season and I am sure that your trades are probably in your best interests. BUT DAMN IT I'LL MISS YOU ALL!

And to the guys that are remaining to play for the Grizzlies till the end of this season, and to the new trades that will be arriving soon and hopefully provide a new crop of friend for you to make, remember that us fans are still proud of the Victoria Grizzlies and are still going to be at the arenas cheering OUR team on! Whatever you do, don't feel that we have traded away our best players and that you guys are only what's left. NO WAY! You young guys are the Grizzlies future for next year and we need all of you to remain enthusiastic and play your best ever hockey. And having got to know a little about you guys I know that is EXACTLY what you are going to do. There are still some scholarships to be earned (even if they are smaller toward the end of the season) and there are still lots of scouts out and about looking for talent. So I know my boys will give it everything that they have. My buddy Dave Findlay who puts together the Grizz Roar blog (that is part of our Grizzlies Facebook page) and I are totally pumped to see what our new team is like! This is so exciting! Dave and I are going to try to put together an article for our blog on all the opportunities that you players still have in the next 21 games so all your fans will know what you guys still have to look forward to even if you don't make the playoffs. So stay tuned and keep reading the Grizz Roar!

My wife and I are planning on coming to Port Alberni

And a bunch of us fans are planning to go to Vancouver for the 3 games at the end of January. We are expecting great things from our new Leaner and Meaner team.
See you guys in Alberni! Go Grizz!!!! Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment