Sunday 21 October 2012

Nanaimo Clippers 2 - 3 Victoria Grizzlies @ Frank Crane Arena, Oct 20th, 2012




The Grizzlies came armed with a squad ready to match Mike Vandekamp's physical Clippers line up on Saturday night. The Black and Gold made it 4 wins in a row and Turner Lawson's first Grizzlie goal was worth the wait, as Victoria went 4 points clear at the top of the Island division and second overall in the BCHL.

I've have decided to add  Social Media's Team Leader, Tony Burrows game comments and fan experience from his post at home. It's genuine and shows how a real fans thinks when he's listening/following his team on the road.

Here are Tony's Burrows comments:

GRIZZLIES 3, NANAIMO 2 (IN REGULATION TIME NO LESS!)

Hi to all you Grizzlies fans, parents, players, Facebook likers and haters! Nothing I would have liked better than to have been in Nanaimo for another of our great Grizzlies games. But falling and breaking my hip a week ago probably was not such a good idea and my wife, not wanting to make me suffer a 3 hour car ride, tied me to the couch and...
made me listen to our broadcaster Scotty Didmon calling the game. I am going to try to make this a lighthearted, tongue in cheek report as I bet the “BIG” media boys are going to be all over this one with practically a play by play of the whole game!
But before I get ranting I want to say something very seriously. Huge congratulations are in order to the entire Grizz organization. After the dismal end to last season we had a new media director in Scott McWilliam, and a new head coach and GM in Bill Bestwick come on board. I remember at the press conferences that were held at that time that both Bill and Scotty said that it was going to take a couple of things thing to start rebuilding our fan base to where it should be—treating the Grizzlies fans with huge respect for their wishes, and having a winning team playing competitive, exciting hockey. Yes, I know that it is the Team that is most in our faces and it is adored or growled at (whichever is right at that moment!) by the fans. That is why it is so exciting – but let us never forget that Mr. Bestwick and Mr. McWilliam have come through with flying colors and made good on those commitments to us fans! When I say CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR GRIZZLIES FOR A HUGE WIN IN NANAIMO TONIGHT let us remember that our Grizzlies players need to have a huge organization behind them to be so successful, from ticket sellers and door men to billets and office and coaching staff and on an on! And what you are seeing this season is all the hard work that was done this summer behind the scene to make the team what it is now! Currently we are in first overall in the Island division with 21 points, ahead of the Mainland division where Chilliwak and Prince George are tied at 20 points each, and only 2 points behind the formidable Pentiction Vees in overall for the BCHL! So Fans,lets get loud and supportive! It's been a long time since we had this caliber of Junior hockey in this City with BOTH the Victoria Grizzlies and our Royals doing so well this season. Please pass the word along to all your friends, You can't get a better bang for your buck, and there are still lots of seats in the Bear Mountain arena to fill!

But now down to the wet and dirty business! Any of you that have listened to Scotty Didmon's radio broadcasts know that you can't walk away from the monotone play by play to go get another beer or scotch (yes, that is my favorite) and not even have to hear what he is saying until the puck gets anywhere near to a goal. (Unfortunately this can be either goal) and I suddenly heard Scotty voice go up 17.3 octaves and he was shouting “he scored!” and I shouted Yessssssss! At the top of my voice till I found out it was Kyle Cramer from Nanaimo who had scored at 3.46 of the first! Damn near spilled my scotch! By the way, after the game Scotty announced that Cramer had been awarded the Nanaimo 'pest of the game' by a local pest control sponsor. So that made me feel a little better!!!!
Just 33 seconds into period 2 as I was settling down nicely, Scotty's crechendo voice jarred my consciousness and I jumped up spilling some of my drink down my shirt. But it was worth it as Leo Fitz had scored from Myles Fitz and that De Jong kid!
At 7.53 of the second Scotty's 97 octave voice again starts screaming “Fitzgerald scores!” and the entire content of my glass goes down my shirt this time! Then Scotty gets his voice under control and explains that it was the Fitzerald quadruplet that plays for Nanaimo that had scored! Now I am getting really wet and starting alcohol withdrawal symptoms so I got my wife to unlock the chain so I could go and refill my glass.! Please remember that my glass is full now—And I like to pour decent size drinks! So at 10.11 I try to ignore Scotty's girlish goal screaming until he shouts it's Myles Fitzgerald from Schmeiss and Justin Coachman! I tossed my drink into the air so I could clap and it lands square between my legs. (remember full??) This soaks my pants from my belt to my knees. (Both sides!) Oh by the way, remember that pest of the game Kyle Kramer that I was telling you about ? At 16.29 he tried beating up on our poor Jaden Schmeisser! But I did not spill any Scotch because I had put it on the side table and Jaden did not need any help from me! And at 12.38 of the third when Scotty was screaming like a baby again about Turner Lawson scoring a great top shelfer (his first goal as a Grizzlie—Way to go Turner!) with help from Leo Fitz and Dante Hahn which was the eventual game winner, I did not spill a drop of my booze! I was too busy trying to fish out the ice cube that had gone down my inside my shirt a few seconds earlier when I lean my head too far back! I have to tell you I learned 2 things this evening listening to Scotty's tonight broadcast.
1. Never, Never underestimate a ferocious Grizzlie.
2. Don't jump up every time Scotty screams like a little girl!
Now that I am shivering like an Eskimo on steroids, would you please excuse me while I go put on some dry, warm clothes??
GO GRIZZLIES GO, AND BEST LUCK ON THE 3 GAME ROAD TRIP COMING.
Tony Burrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment